Don’t let the hot, dry days of summer get you down! Drink deeply from the cool, refreshing fountain of creativity that is First Friday Art Walk 6-10 p.m. Aug. 3 in 24 participating venues. The First Friday excitement begins in the afternoon with the 4th Annual Bloody Battleof the Bands at JordanValleyPark, a contest for life savers and music makers in support of CommunityBloodCenter of the Ozarks. The area’s best teen bands will compete for the grand prize: eight hours of recording studio time at Studio 2100. Concertgoers will vote for their favorite bands and for the brand new category of solo singer/songwriter. Each band set is 20 minutes; solo sets, in between bands, are 8 to 10 minutes. Only those who register to donate blood can vote. One band will triumph … but hundreds of lives will be saved in the Ozarks. Every blood drive participant gets a free T-shirt, food, a swag bag with 2-for-1 entry into the Skinny Improv and 1984, entry into several raffles, and a free concert! The blood drive begins at 2 p.m.; bands start at 3; the event ends at 8. Be sure to stop in as you visit nearby Art Walk venues The CreameryArtsCenter and UniversityPlaza!
Art Walk also welcomes a brand new member, Art Inspired, at 310 S. Campbell, adjoining Springfield Hot Glass Studio. Art Inspired is a document disposal and paper recycling business that turns paper pulp into art and other marketable items. Art Inspired debuts on the Art Walk Aug. 3 with Know Me for My Ability, featuring works by local artists with disabilities. Be sure to welcome Art Inspired to the Downtown Arts District!
OTHER AUGUST HIGHLIGHTS
* ABUNDANT LIFECOVENANT CHURCH presentsPhotographer Nate Sims’ Standing in Awe and Tyler Thrasher’s anime graphic novel project, Ignoxyl
* FRESH GALLERY showcases The Craftsmanship of Carl Huser and The Fine Art of Debbie Reed in August
* RANDY BACON PHOTOGRAPHY presents an art exhibit by Evangel Art Professor David Bigelow
* REVEL ADVERTISING presents Gavyn Sky’s new exhibit, Evolution REVELution, plus summer cocktails provided by Crown Valley Winery
* SPRINGFIELD HOTGLASS STUDIO features the metal sculptures of Local Artist Nick Willet
* TAGMEDIA and UNIVERSITY PLAZA team up for Art Walk Live!
The Downtown Y offers affordable child care for Art Walking parents via Family Art Night, serving ages 3 months to 12 years, 6:30-9 p.m. for only $10 per child with preregistration; $13 without preregistration. Kids enjoy healthy activities and snacks, story time and a hands-on art project to take home. Call (417) 862-8962, ext. 149, for information or to preregister.