April 04, 2022
Are you events manager extrordinaire? The Downtown Springfield Association seeks qualified applicants for its Events Manager position. The successful candidate will demonstrate competency and experience in the following areas:
- Top-notch organizational skills and hospitality-first mindset
- Basic PR writing know-how
- Creative problem solver
- Research and data driven
- Experience managing a team and leading committee meetings
- Familiar with productivity and event management software (Examples: 417Tix, Trello, Google Drive, SpinGo, FilmFreeway, ZAPP, etc.)
- 5+ years of relevant career experience
- Bachelor’s degree in event planning, communications, public relations, entertainment management or related field required
Coordinate the following iconic community events in Downtown Springfield:
- Artsfest, first weekend in May
- Taste of SoMo, third Saturday in June
- Birthplace of Rt. 66 Festival, second weekend in August
- Cider Days, third weekend in September
- Christmas Parade, second Saturday in December
- New events supporting the mission of DSA, as approved by the DSA Board
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Creating annual strategic plans for each event–looking for ways to innovate, reduce expenses, add new revenue streams and capitalize on PR opportunities (40th anniversary, etc.)
- Collaborating with executive director and event chairs to staff event committees and subcommittees
- Scheduling, creating agendas for, leading and recapping each event committee meeting
- Building event budgets–including development, sponsor and fundraising plan–executive director and event chairs to approve
- Leading application and recruiting efforts for participants, including: artists, food vendors, nonprofits, performers, sponsors, filmmakers and other vendors
- Managing artist, filmmaker, sponsor and neighbor relations fluently and respectively
- Recruiting, scheduling and training volunteers for each event
- Programming events with the patron experience in mind, from scheduling musicians to working with production team for a flawless execution
- Working with outside vendors to book event logistics, including: tent/stage rentals, waste/recycling management, film distributors, airfare, etc.
- Building site layout, event weekend agendas and emergency management plans
- Securing all relevant permits for events through the city and state
- Recruiting and managing interns and independent contractors related to respective events
Assist the DSA Communication Manager with marketing efforts related to events:
- Event listings on community calendars (locations, times, ticket costs, parking, etc.)
- Recognition of sponsors
- Managing graphic designers (programs, banners and signage, etc.)
- Production of event merch, signage, brochures, etc.
- Serve as an active member of the DSA staff team.
- Assist in the development of new events for Downtown and the DSA.
- Consult with other organizations bringing community events to Downtown.
- Staff the meetings for the following Downtown organizations:
- DSA Board meetings & mixers
- DSA Event Committees
- Springfield Regional Arts Council Artsfest Committees and Board meetings
- Monitor International Downtown Association, Main Street, Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce, Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau and other industries to provide suggestions on best practices and innovations to enhance Springfield’s Downtown.
The Downtown Springfield Association is a nonprofit 501(c)6 community development organization that draws thousands of patrons to its iconic and family-friendly events each year. These events are key to attracting new businesses and residents for Downtown’s continued revitalization.
The DSA Events Manager position is full-time (40+ hours per week). It includes some evenings and weekends. As such, there is flexibility in the office hours as coordinated with the Executive Director. Benefits include paid vacation and sick days, a health care allowance, and a simple IRA retirement match.
Salary range: $40,000-45,000, commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit their resumes by April 12, 2019, by sending their information to Rusty Worley at email@example.com.